Home > Salad Recipes
Salad is any of a wide variety of dishes including: green salads; vegetable salads; salads of pasta, legumes or grains; mixed salads incorporating meat, poultry or seafood; and fruit salads. They include a mixture of cold and hot, often including raw vegetables and/or fruits.
Green salads include leaf lettuce and vegetables with a sauce or dressing. Other salads are based on pasta, noodles or gelatine. Most salads are traditionally served cold, although some, such as south German potato salad are served warm.
Green salads including leaf lettuces are generally served with a dressing, as well as various garnishes such as nuts or croutons and sometimes with the addition of meat, fish, pasta, cheese, eggs or whole grains.
Salads may be served at any point during a meal. They may be: -
• Appetizer salads, light salads to stimulate the appetite as the first course of the meal.
• Side salads, to accompany the entrée as a side dish.
• Entrée salads, served as the main dish, usually containing a portion of protein, such as chicken breast or slices of beef.
• Palate-cleansing salads, to settle the stomach after the main course.
• Dessert salads, sweet versions usually containing gelatine or whipped cream.