Crępes With Orange Sauce
115g/4oz/1 cup plain (all-purpose) flour
1.5ml/ź tsp salt
25g/1oz/2 tbsp caster (superfine) sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
About 250ml/8fl oz/1 cup milk
About 60ml/4 tbsp water
30ml/2 tbsp orange flower water, Cointreau or other orange liqueur
25g/1oz/2 tbsp unsalted (sweet) butter, melted, plus extra for frying
For the sauce
75g/3oz/6 tbsp unsalted (sweet) butter
50g/2oz/ź cup caster (superfine) sugar
Grated rind and juice of 1 large orange
Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
150ml/ź pint/⅔ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
60ml/4 tbsp Cointreau or other orange liqueur, plus more for flaming (optional)
Brandy, for flaming (optional)
Orange segments, to decorate
1. Sift the flour, salt and sugar into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the eggs. Beat the eggs, gradually incorporating the flour.
2. Whisk in the milk, water and orange flower water or liqueur to make a very smooth batter. Strain into a jug (pitcher) and set aside for 20-30 minutes.
3. Heat an 18-20cm/7-8in crępe pan (preferably non-stick) over a medium heat. If the crępe batter has thickened, add a little more water or milk to thin it. Stir the melted butter into the batter.
4. Brush the hot pan with a little extra melted butter and pour in about 30ml/2 tbsp of batter. Quickly tilt and rotate the pan to cover the base evenly with a thin layer of batter. Cook for about 1 minute, or until the top is set and the base is golden. With a metal spatula, lift the edge to check the colour, then carefully turn over the crępe and cook for 20-30 seconds, just to set. Tip out on to a plate.
5. Continue cooking the crępes, stirring the batter occasionally and brushing the pan with a little more melted butter as and when necessary. Place a sheet of clear film (plastic wrap) or baking parchment between each crępe as they are stacked to prevent them from sticking. (The crępes can be prepared ahead to this point - put them in a plastic bag and chill until ready to use.)
6. To make the sauce, melt the butter in a large frying pan over a medium-low heat, then stir in the sugar, orange and lemon rind and juice, the additional orange juice and the orange liqueur.
7. Place a crępe in the pan brownedside down, swirling gently to coat with the sauce. Fold it in half, then in half again to form a triangle, and push to the side of the pan. Continue heating and folding the crępes until all are warm and covered with the sauce.
8. To flame the crępes, heat 30-45ml/2-3 tbsp each of orange liqueur and brandy in a small pan over a medium heat. Remove the pan from the heat, carefully ignite the liquid with a match then pour evenly over the crępes. Sprinkle over the orange segments and serve immediately.