Sticky Coffee And Ginger Pudding
30ml/2 tbsp soft light brown sugar
25g/1oz/2 tbsp preserved stem ginger, chopped, plus 75ml/5 tbsp ginger syrup
30ml/2 tbsp mild-flavoured ground coffee
115g/4oz/generous ½ cup caster (superfine) sugar
3 eggs, separated
25g/1oz/¼ cup plain (all-purpose) flour
5ml/1 tsp ground ginger
65g/2½oz/generous 1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
25g/1oz/¼ cup ground almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease and line the base of a 750ml/1¼ pint/3 cup ovenproof bowl, then sprinkle in the sugar and chopped stem ginger.
2. Put the ground coffee in a small bowl. Heat the ginger syrup until almost boiling; pour into the coffee. Stir well and leave for 4 minutes. Pour through a fine sieve (strainer) into the ovenproof bowl.
3. Beat half the sugar with the egg yolks until light and fluffy. Sift the flour and ground ginger together and fold into the egg yolk mixture with the breadcrumbs and ground almonds.
4. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then gradually whisk in the remaining caster sugar. Fold into the mixture, in two batches. Spoon into the pudding basin and smooth the top.
5. Cover the basin with a piece of pleated greased baking parchment and secure with string. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the sponge is firm to the touch. Turn out and serve immediately.